Showered in His Goodness



He turned the desert into pools of water 
and the parched ground into flowing springs. 
Psalm 107:35

It is hot out today.  

I can barely stand to be outside.  It seems that I long for Summer when Winter is around and long for the Fall when Summer comes close to an end.  

But, this summer has been drier than I would have expected.  Because not only is it hot outside, but there has been a drought sweltering within my soul.

For two years we have labored hard.  We have wiped each other's tears, bandaged up hearts, and carried each other's burdens.  And yet, the land seems overwhelmingly dry. 

It cracks with every hurt. 

As our mouths open wide to catch a drop of His goodness, we keep our eyes focused on above. 

For we know He is here.

Two months ago, we were led to purchase a 1969 Shasta camper for Operation Sleep Tight.  At that same time, a couple from a town just 45 miles away decided to sell their van. 

We had no vehicle to pull the Shasta camper.  We prayed often.  "Lord, we need a vehicle that can seat our entire family, pull the Shasta camper, and it needs to be free."  I don't mean to sound greedy with this prayer.  It is just what our family needed.  So, for two months, we prayed. 

Nothing. 

That is, until Friday night.

You see, I have this little problem of picking up trash on the side of the road and putting it into our car.  A couple of nights ago, I found a couch on the side of the road and decided to pick it up and put it on the homeschool listserv.  My friend, Jessica, was interested and we were communicating back and forth via email.  During that time, another email came through on her end from a family wanting to give their van away to a homeschool family.  She immediately thought of us and told me to call.  Without hesitation, I did.

This couple is truly one of the most beautiful families in Tennessee.  Around the same time that we purchased the camper, they had decided to sell their van.  However, the sale never happened because they were unable to locate their keys. The van sat for two months.  On Friday night, after a brief discussion, they decided to give it away.  (Thank you, Mike & Stephanie!)

It is exactly what we prayed for.  It seats our entire family, has the capability of pulling the Shasta camper, and it was given to us for free.

We picked it up the very next day.  

As we drove away, I began to cry.

"Thank you, Lord, for sending your sweet rain.  My heart is overflowing.  This is Your vehicle, not ours.  May it do Your work for the glory of Your name."

And it began to rain outside.  Not just a little sprinkle, but a massive downpour.  The winds were strong and we were almost hit by a trampoline.

"I see you, Lord.  You are the Spring of Life.  I am showering in Your goodness."

And I held tightly to the steering wheel.

For it felt like I was driving gold.  



  

Comments