"Spike": Our family dog

A few weeks ago, I posted a picture on Facebook of our new dog, "Hannah".  



We loved her.  She came to us at 5 months old already crate & potty trained.  She was a "rescue" pup with few details about her past.  She allowed my kids to lay on her, walk her on her leash, & to give her commands.  She was the best puppy that anyone could ask for.  That is, until another kid stepped foot on our property.  


After having her for a week, she began to show a territorial behavior that turned vicious when children were around.  After a couple of incidents of her biting children, we had to make a tough decision to find her a new home.  

Our kids understood that we could not keep a dog that bites our friends, but they were still devastated.  I held all four, crying kids in the driveway as my husband took her to her new owner.  



She now lives in a home with no children & an owner who can properly train her in ways that I could not.  

It was one of the hardest decisions we had to make as parents.  I felt like I had failed our kids.  

One of our children deals with a behavior issue that became nonexistent when we brought Hannah home.  But, when she left, our child regressed terribly.  

After much research & many discussions, Sergio & I decided it best to get another dog.  We chose a full-blooded Beagle whom our kids have named, "Spike".  



It's not easy having a 6 week old puppy in our home.  It's full-time work.  

However, when I see my kids with him, I am reminded that they are worth it.  They love having a dog.  The memories they will have with "Spike" will last a lifetime.  


I overheard our son say to Spike today, "You're my very, best friend. And I will love you forever." 




Our other son cried alligator tears as we left Spike's mom & dad.  His precious heart felt sad that he would not see them again.  However, Spike quickly cheered him up by getting his head stuck in the box.  


Goodnight, Spike.  Welcome home.  


Comments