Missional Motherhood: Radical Love

Lydia & Brandon
The financial burden of getting a child ready to go back to school can be straining and stressful on some families.  Brandon (pictured above) grew up in the youth group at Green Street Church and has experienced poverty and the blessings of helping hands.  His heart is tender to the needs of families and wanted to help lighten the back to school burden. 

He and his wife coordinated with a local barber to give free haircuts to students as well as raise donations from local churches for school supplies and food.

Donations of school supplies.
Our church, Reunion Christian Community, partnered alongside Brandon to provide all the hot dogs and buns.  I woke up this morning with a heaviness on my heart and desire to serve with my hands rather than just my wallet. 

So, personally not knowing anyone, I loaded up the kids and headed over to the barber shop.  I arrived right at 11am and it was too crowded to enter.  I spoke with a lady taking names and patiently waited my turn to speak with Brandon.  I explained who I was and wanted to know if there was an area that we could help serve.  He gladly took a risk and put me & my 4 children on passing out the hot dogs.

Clara even passed out plates, too.
I have to admit, I could have easily sat in the comforts of my own home, put a boundary between myself & those in need, & gave my kids everything that they wanted.  I could have given the excuse that I only had 4 hours of sleep and this heat is just unbearable.  I could have thought, "the church provided the food.  That should be good enough." 

But, I don't want to live like that. 

I want to live beyond 'good enough'.  I want to live radically. 

I want to teach my children what it is to follow in Jesus' footsteps. 

I want to serve rather than be served. 

I want to love the unlovely.

I want to carry the burdens of others and place them at the feet of Jesus. 

I want my children to see Christ in me. 

I want to raise my children to be world changers.   


I'm proud of my kids today.  I have three, amazing extroverts that jump in and serve passionately.  I have another child whose gentle smile can warm the hardest of hearts.  Together, they make a fierce team for the Lord. 

So, on a day that I think is all about teaching my children, they actually taught me by their example of what it means to love radically and without boundaries. 

I want to be more like them.

They served well.

I want to be more like Kyle, the barber...

One barber, 80+ kids
And more like Brandon...

 

I, too, want to love radically. 


“..the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?

The King will reply, ‘I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.” (Matthew 25:34-40)





Comments

  1. "Serving with your hands and not just your wallet." I like that! I may use it. I will give you credit though. Thanks for being an inspiration and blogging about good news!
    -Marti Putnam

    ReplyDelete
  2. This has just made my day. I love this story and will be reading this post to my kids later tonight. You, your kids, Brandon, and the barber are blessings. Have a wonderful evening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're an inspiration to me, Jackie. I too long to serve outside the comforts of my home. I'm guilty of making too many excuses.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jacqueline, You probably don't remember me from back in the Owasso days, but I totally remember you and your happy smile. I've been following your blog for a while now and thought I should at least comment and say "hi" and that I LOVE to read about your family and projects. Love this post. And love your heart! - Laura

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment